On February 2, the Central Political and Legal Affairs Committee held an annual work summary and deployment meeting. Guided by Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for the New Era, they summarized the work of 2020, deployed tasks in 2021, and studied the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work.
Chen Yixin, Secretary-General of the Central Political and Legal Affairs Committee chaired the meeting and emphasized that they must promote the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work, view the “Five Requirements” contained in General Secretary Xi Jinping’s important instructions as their direction of efforts, view the “Ten Highlights” of last year’s political and legal affairs work as a solid foundation, and view the “Ten Key Points” as the main line of attack for this year’s political and legal affairs work.
Zhang Anjun listened to the speech on the spot and reported on the “Five Requirements,” “Ten Highlights,” “Ten Key Points,” and other highlights.
I. The “Five Requirements” Contained in General Secretary Xi Jinping’s Important Instructions Are the Direction for the High-quality Development of Political and Legal Affairs Work
Recently, General Secretary Xi Jinping delivered a series of important speeches and gave important instructions for political and legal affairs work, putting forward a series of new concepts, new ideas, and new strategies that are of great and far-reaching guiding significance for political and legal affairs work in the new era. We must study and understand General Secretary Xi Jinping’s series of new ideas, new thoughts, and new strategies and deeply grasp both the directional requirements and methodological issues, using them as ideological weapons and guides to action. In particular, we must firmly grasp the “Five Requirements”:
First, we must focus on improving the “three powers” of politics and insist on fortifying political loyalty as a lifeline. General Secretary Xi Jinping repeatedly emphasized the need to enhance political awareness and improve political judgment, political comprehension, and political execution. Speaking politics with a clear-cut stand is the first attribute of political and legal affairs institutions, and fortifying political loyalty is the lifeline of the political and legal affairs front. The most fundamental thing is to uphold the Party’s absolute leadership over political and legal affairs work and firmly practice the “Two Upholds.”
– Improve political judgment: We must make the country’s political security our top priority, make the people our important focus, and make the adherence to and development of socialism with Chinese characteristics our foundation. We must be adept at discovering political problems in general affairs, discovering political clues from problematic tendencies and symptoms, and grasping political logic from complicated contradictory relationships. We must always be clear-headed, sharp-eyed, and firm in the face of major issues of right and wrong.
– Improve political comprehension: We must deeply study and thoroughly understand Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for the New Era, thoroughly study and integrate the spirit of General Secretary Xi Jinping’s important instructions and the decisions and deployments of the Party Central Committee, and consciously plan to advance the work from the height of the overall situation of the party and the country.
– Improve political execution: We must take the implementation of the spirit of General Secretary Jinping’s important instructions and the decisions and deployments of the Party Central Committee as our primary political task and political responsibility, know our responsibilities, perform our responsibilities, and ensure that their tasks are fully implemented without compromise. We must strictly abide by political discipline and political rules and earnestly practice the resolute response to the proposals of the Party Central Committee, the resolute compliance with the Party Central Committee’s decisions, and the resolute elimination of activities prohibited by the Party Central Committee.
Second, we must focus on achieving the “Triple Peace” (三安) goals and insist on promoting the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work as the theme of the times. General Secretary Xi Jinping emphasized that, during the “14th Five-Year Plan” period, economic and social development should take the promotion of high-quality development as their theme and all fields must reflect the requirements of high-quality development. He clearly proposed that we promote the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work to ensure national security, social stability, and people’s tranquility. We must adhere closely to the “Triple Peace” goals, investigate and take effective measures, steadily promote the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work, and accelerate the construction of a higher level of a peaceful China and a China under the rule of law.
– Defend national security: We must adhere to the overall national security outlook, coordinate the domestic and international situations, seize upon the two major issues of development and security, prevent and resolve various political security risks, and resolutely safeguard national sovereignty, security, and development interests.
– Maintain social stability: We must accelerate the modernization of social governance, firmly grasp the resolution of risks related to stability, effectively contain incremental risks related to stability, resolutely prevent variable risks related to stability, and ensure overall social stability.
– Ensure the people’s tranquility: We must promote the normalization of the elimination of [organized] crime (扫黑除恶), improve the social stability prevention and control system and the public security assurance system, and ensure the tranquility of urban and rural areas and the well-being of the people.
Third, we must focus on strengthening the “Three Major Orientations” (三大导向) and persist in taking systematic concepts, rule of law thinking, and strong base orientation as our ideological work methods. General Secretary Xi Jinping emphasized that, to promote the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work, we must pay more attention to systematic concepts, rule of law thinking, and strong base orientation. We must use this as our basic guide for political and legal affairs work, be adept at using scientific thinking and working methods, and improve the ability to lead and promote political and legal affairs work.
– Adhere to systemic concepts: Based on the “two overall situations” and keeping the “Great One of the Nations” in mind, we must pay attention to forward-looking thinking, overall planning, strategic layout, and overall promotion, be adept at observing the general situation, seeking the overall situation, and grasping the big things, and always incorporate political and legal affairs work into the planning and promotion of the overall work of the Party and the country.
– Adhere to rule of law thinking: We must thoroughly study and implement Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law, give play to the role of the rule of law in solidifying the foundation, stabilizing expectations, and conveying long-term benefits, be adept at rule of law thinking and methods to prevent risks, resolve contradictions, and maintain stability, and effectively provide rule of law assurance for the implementation of the new development concepts, the construction of new development patterns, and the promotion of high-quality development.
– Adhere to the strong base orientation: We must take grasping the grassroots and laying a foundation as a consolidating policy, promote the downward shift of the center of gravity, the downward investment of resources, and the sinking of forces, and promote the modernization of grassroots social governance. We must respect the pioneering spirit of the grassroots, be adept at summarizing new experience, systematically integrate effective and innovative measures, elevate grassroots innovation to top-level design, and transform the experiences in one locale into national wealth.
Fourth, we must focus on carrying forward the “Three Ox” spirit and persist in taking pragmatic innovation for the people as our work pursuit. General Secretary Xi Jinping called on party members and cadres to carry forward the spirit of serving the people of the willing ox, innovate and develop like the pioneering ox, and persevere in the face of difficulties like the hard-working ox. We must motivate ourselves with the spirit of “Three Ox”, inspire the spirit of serving the people, being pragmatic, and being innovative, and ensure that the implementation of political and legal affairs work is effective.
– Deeply plant the idea that working for the people is fundamental: We must consciously practice people-centered development thinking, actively adapt to the people’s new needs for democracy, the rule of law, fairness, justice, security, and the environment, solve the problem of “misfortunes that are viewed with anxiety” by the masses, and continuously enhance the people’s sense of gain, sense of happiness, and sense of security.
– Adhere to the path of innovation: We must vigorously promote the innovation of ideas, systems and institutions, policies and measures and deploy pilot projects for major tasks. The formulation of policies and measures must first be investigated, the work must advance with a focus on classified guidance, we must solve difficulties in political and legal affairs with a spirit of reform and innovation, and we must turn the difficulties of political and legal affairs work into innovative highlights.
– Promote a pragmatic style: We must focus on accomplishing real work, seek practical matters, make practical moves, and seek practical results, bear have the courage to take on heavy burdens and tackle difficult issues, maintain the strength to overcome difficulties, radiate the passion to strive for excellence, and strive to turn ideas into results and blueprints into reality.
Fifth, we must focus on the construction of the “Three Nos” system and adhere to the comprehensive and strict management of the Party and the police as the main theme of fighting corruption and advocating integrity. General Secretary Xi Jinping emphasized that we must unswervingly advance the anti-corruption struggle and continue to advance the strategic goals of fearing to be corrupt, unable to be corrupt, and not wanting to be corrupt in a unified manner. We must thoroughly implement the policy of the comprehensive and strict governance of the party, regard the education and rectification of political and legal affairs teams as an effective form of self-revolution on the political and legal fronts, establish the “Three Nos” system of anti-corruption, strengthen the comprehensive and strict management of the party and the police, and strive to build an iron army for political and legal affairs that the Party and the people can trust, rely on, and have peace of mind about.
– Strengthen the punishment and deterrence of “fearing to be corrupt”: We must adhere to no restricted areas, full coverage, and zero tolerance, resolutely rectify violations of discipline and law on the political and legal fronts, institution severe punishments for corruption in the political and legal system, resolutely eliminate the black sheep, and strive to make the people feel that every judicial case is fair and just.
– Improve the institutions and mechanisms of “unable to be corrupt”: We must strengthen political supervision, advance the reform and construction of the law enforcement and judicial restriction and supervision system in an in-depth manner, make up for the shortcomings of institutions in a targeted manner, and tighten the densely woven institutional cage. We must persevere in implementing the spirit of the Eight-Point Regulation, continue to rectify formalism and bureaucratism, and establish and improve long-term mechanisms to treat both symptoms and root causes.
– Construct a solid line of defense for “not wanting to be corrupt”: We must educate and guide political and legal officers to strengthen their ideals and beliefs, pass on the red gene (红色基因, communist heritage), carry forward the spirit of heroes and models, always practice self-respect, self-criticism, self-warning, and self-motivation, be careful when alone, be careful in little things, be careful at the start, and be careful at the end, continuously enhance the abilities of self-purification, self-perfection, self-innovation, and self-improvement, and always maintain a loyal, pure, and reliable political character.
II. The “Ten Highlights” of last year’s political and legal affairs work laid a solid foundation for the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work
2020 was an extraordinary year in the history of New China and an unprecedented year in the history of political and legal affairs work. Facing the “Three Severe Shocks” not seen in a century and under the strong leadership of the Party Central Committee with Comrade Xi Jinping at its core, we kept the “two overall situations” in mind, engaged in overall planning, coordinated advancement, overcoming difficulties, fought and won one tough battle after another, prevented and resisted one risk after another, created a safe and stable social environment for the overall promotion of epidemic prevention and control and economic and social development, and has helped to create a new realm of “Chinese governance.”
Highlight 1: Helping to seize the strategic initiative in response to hegemonic and domineering foreign anti-China forces. Faced with the infiltration, subversion, destruction, containment, and suppression of overseas anti-China forces, we coordinated our response to security and legal risks and safeguarded our national sovereignty, security, and development interests.
Highlight 2: Providing powerful and effective safeguards for the country’s political security. We strengthened the maintenance of the national political security work system and capacity building and effectively prevented, controlled, and resolved various political security risks. By intensifying the special campaign against violence and terrorism, we consolidated a situation featuring the fundamental improvement of the anti-terrorist struggle.
Highlight 3: Promoting a decisive victory in the special struggle against organized crime. We gave full play to the functions of overall planning, coordination and advancement, direction and supervision, evaluation and incentives, propaganda and guidance, and leading and driving, researched and put forward “innumerable” ideas and suggestions throughout the year, planned and carried out the “Six Cleanups” initiative, deployed and implemented the “Six Setups” work, and promoted a decisive victory in a special struggle. We used a list to supervise 111 major cases, strongly supervised the handling of major and complicated cases such as the Sun Xiaoguo case in Yunnan and the “case of burying corpses in the playground” in Huaihua, Hunan, and caused a batch of old unjust cases to be brought to light We promoted the intensification of the pursuit of fugitives. 5,768 fugitives were targeted and 99% were brought to trial. We organized and carried out special struggles and special supervisions and promoted three batches of 82 key cities and regions for follow-up rectification. Through the special struggle against organized crime, the numbers of all kinds of law violations and criminal cases have dropped significantly and public security and order have improved significantly. In the view of people from all walks of life, the special struggle against organized crime is one of the most popular events since the Nineteenth Party Congress.
Highlight 4: Assisting in the fight against the COVID-19 epidemic to achieve major results. A dedicated anti-epidemic work team was sent to Hubei and based in Wuhan to guide anti-epidemic work, help promote decisive victory in the war in defense of Wuhan, and successfully complete the mission and tasks assigned by the Party Central Committee. We led the establishment of an investigation team to investigate the epidemic in Rencheng Prison in Shandong Province, promoted the rectification of related issues, and contained the spread of the epidemic in the prison in a short period of time. We promoted the formulation and revision of laws and regulations such as the Law on the Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases, took the lead in formulating the opinions of political and legal institutions on promoting the resumption of work and production during the epidemic prevention and control period, and promoted the introduction of opinions on preventing and controlling the epidemic in accordance with the law and punishing illegal crimes that hinder the prevention and control of the epidemic in accordance with the law. We pushed political and legal officers and grassroots comprehensive control grid forces to join the people’s war for the prevention and control of the epidemic. We organized and carried out special initiatives for the centralized investigation and resolution of conflicts and disputes related to the epidemic and prevented and resolved the “post-epidemic syndrome.” We did a good job in carefully implementing the prevention and control measures of the committees and institutions and ensured that the epidemic prevention and control of the institutions was foolproof.
Highlight 5: Promoting a new pace in the modernization of social governance. We implemented the spirit of the Build a Peaceful China Coordination Group Meeting and improved the institutions for building peace. We organized and convened a work conference on building a peaceful China and raised the building of a peaceful China to a higher level. We studied and formulated opinions on advancing the modernization of municipal social governance and its pilot work plans and work guidelines, convened the first exchange meeting on the pilot work of modernizing urban social governance, promoted pilot work with innovative ideas, built a “front-line command center” for social governance, and strove to resolve major contradictions and risks in urban areas to ensure that risks did not spill over and spread. Relying on platforms such as the political and legal affairs work innovation exchange meeting, we promptly summarized and exchanged innovative experience in pilot work and actively explored new paths of social governance with Chinese characteristics, urban characteristics, governance characteristics, and characteristics of the times. We persisted in and developed the “Fengqiao experience” (枫桥经验, mobilizing the masses at the grassroots of society to enforce proper conduct) in the new era, promoted the innovation of the grassroots social governance system, enhanced the grassroots social governance capabilities, and created a “frontier battle fortress” in social governance.
Highlight 6: Fully completing the pilot work for the education and rectification of the political and legal affairs teams. With the approval of the Party Central Committee, the Central Political and Legal Affairs Committee deployed a five-month pilot program for the education and rectification of political and legal affairs teams in five regions. The National Pilot Office (全国试点办) focused on overall planning, innovation and promotion mechanisms, and the adoption of effective measures and set off a self-revolution of scraping to the bone to remove the poison, the “Yan’an Rectification Movement” to clear the turbid waters, and thematic education to forge character. We held a pilot work mobilization and deployment meeting, formulated and issued a pilot work plan and station work procedures, clarified the overall thinking of closely following the “One Major Goal”, the implementation of the “Five Excellent Qualities”, the highlighting of the “Four Tasks”, and the grasp of the “Three Links.” We convened five National Pilot Office director meetings and three pilot work exchange meetings to ensure that each stage follows the procedures of “deployment before launch, exchange during promotion, and evaluation after completion.” We dispatched five stationed guidance teams to follow up the whole process with precise guidance and supervision. By compacting central and regional responsibilities, central and provincial political and legal units have strengthened guidance and the pilot areas and units have assumed the main responsibility and direct responsibility, forming a strong work force. Through pilot work, political discipline police construction has been significantly strengthened, black sheep have been resolutely eliminated, stubborn diseases have been effectively rectified, and the spirit of political and legal heroes has been vigorously promoted. A number of practical results and institutional results have been achieved, and we have accumulated valuable experience for the education and rectification of national political and legal teams.
Highlight 7: Promoting the comprehensive deepening of reforms in the field of politics and law and making precise breakthroughs. We organized and convened a meeting to comprehensively deepen the promotion of reforms in the field of politics and law and deployed and promoted the reform and construction of the law enforcement and judicial restriction and supervision system. We promoted the deepening of comprehensive and supporting reforms for the judicial accountability system, and a new model of the operation of judicial power with consistent powers and responsibilities is taking shape. We promoted the improvement of political and legal public service institutions and mechanisms, significantly improving the people’s satisfaction with and sense of gain from political and legal public products. We took the lead in successfully completing cross-service and cross-regional reforms.
Highlight 8: Actively serving and assuring high-quality economic development. We studied and formulated guiding opinions for economic and social development under the conditions of legally ensuring the resumption of work and production and the normalization of serving epidemic prevention and control, intensified the legal supervision of cases involving private enterprises, promoted the implementation of special initiatives to clear out the backlog of cases, improved the prevention of unjust and erroneous cases involving enterprise property rights and the normalization of error correction mechanisms, actively participated in the prevention, control, and resolution of financial risks, did a good job in maintaining stability during major events such as the 40th anniversary of the establishment of the special economic zone, and achieved remarkable results in serving and assuring the “Six Stabilities” and “Six Guarantees.” We promoted the crackdown on illegal crimes in the field of poverty alleviation in accordance with the law, established a rapid return mechanism for the implementation of criminal cases in the field of poverty alleviation, and properly handled disputes involving agriculture in accordance with the law. We did a solid job in targeted poverty alleviation, improved mechanisms such as annual team member surveys in the Jalaid Banner, the pairing and assistance of various branches of the government with poverty-stricken villages in Jalaid Banner, and the selection of outstanding young cadres for poverty alleviation, coordinated “Zhejiang merchants, Chu merchants and Beijing enterprises” (浙商楚商京企, likely means “businesses from the economically developed areas of China”) to go to Zhalaite Banner to carry out industrial poverty alleviation, and helped Zhalaite Banner achieve its poverty elimination goals. The Central Political and Legal Committee was hailed as an advanced collective for poverty alleviation by central and state institutions and was selected as an advanced collective for poverty alleviation on a national level.
Highlight 9: Significantly increasing the influence of political and legal propaganda and public opinion. We resolutely shifted the focus of political and legal propaganda and public opinion work to new online media and made the new online media stronger, better, and more responsive to political and legal affairs. The number of fans of the “Central Political and Legal Affairs Committee Changan Sword” on Toutiao and the number of fans of changan.com on TikTok and Kuaishou both exceeded 20 million. The total number of fans of “One Net, One Sword” (一网一剑) on emerging online platforms exceeds 112 million. The Changan Sword official WeChat account published more than 1,800 articles with “100,000+” read throughout the year, and “One Net, One Sword” has become one of the fastest-growing and most influential new online media platforms in recent years. We carried out a series of propaganda campaigns for the special struggle against organized crime, released the second “Four 100s” lists of outstanding political and legal new media platforms, help propaganda demonstration activities for the anti-epidemic spirit of the political and legal affairs fronts, and vigorously spread the positive energy of political and legal affairs. We promoted the establishment, institution building, and system building of the online political and legal affairs propaganda army and formed a vigorous and powerful directly affiliated online propaganda army. We earnestly implemented the ideological work responsibility system, established a strong ideological position in the field of political and legal affairs, and implemented the “Three Synchronizations” mechanism. The online political and legal public opinion ecosystem continued to improve.
Highlight 10: Promoting the high-quality development of party-building in government institutions. We earnestly fulfilled the responsibility of administering and governing the Party and took the launch of the “Innovative Year of Party-building in Institutions” as a starting point to comprehensively strengthen the party-building in institutions. Political construction was newly strengthened: We carried out education to strengthen the awareness of political institutions and guided cadres in institutions to consciously practice the “Two Upholds.” We took the spirit of the important instructions of General Secretary Jinping to supervise and implement internships as our primary political responsibility, held a summary and exchange meeting for the supervision and implementation work, improved the supervision and implementation mechanisms, and improved the efficiency and quality of procedures. We organized and implemented the supervision work for the Regulations on the Political and Legal Affairs Work of the Communist Party of China and promoted the implementation of the institutions and mechanisms of the Party’s absolute leadership over political and legal affairs work. Theoretical arms received new upgrades: We adhered to the system of theoretical center group study, the first topic of the secretary-general meeting, and team members giving party lectures, organized the study of Xi Jinping: The Governance of China and Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law, and promoted the study and implementation of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese characteristics for the New Era in order to delve deep to the core and essence. Organization building formed new mechanisms: We innovated the branch’s annual debriefing, appraisal, and evaluation mechanisms, outstanding Party member selection and incentive mechanisms, annual “last spur” system for underperformers, and selection system for “golden ideas” in party-building work, improving the vitality of the branch. Institution cadre teams were rejuvenated with new vitality: We adhered to the standards of good cadres in the new era, implemented a cadre selection mechanism of “multiple batches, small batches, multi-level overall planning, and normalization,” and increased the intensity of cadre rotation exchanges, further boosting the spirit of cadres to take responsibility and take the initiative in their work. Work style construction has a new atmosphere: We destroyed formalism and bureaucratism by practical methods, streamlined the “heavy burden of countless documents and meetings,” significantly reduce the “three public” expenses, and improved the annual assessment of safety construction. We adhered to the research systems for “Ten Major Topics” research, “go in-depth in one province and lead one region” (蹲一省带一片) research, “secret private visits, random investigations,” and go in-depth at the contact points of cities and counties. Inspection and rectification have achieved new results: We studied and formulated rectification plans as well as rectification task lists and responsibility lists, took strong measures to promote rectification, comprehensively completed the centralized rectification task of 43 problems in four categories, accelerated the establishment of a long-term mechanism to consolidate the results of rectification and reform, further optimizing the political ecosystems of institutions.
III. The “Ten Key Points” of This Year’s Political and Legal Affairs Work Should Become the Main Line of Attack for Promoting the High-quality Development of Political and Legal Affairs Work
Mindfulness of the “two overall situations” has always been the basic starting point for the planning of political and legal affairs work. At the Central Political and Legal Affairs Work Conference, Comrade Guo Shengkun deeply analyzed the new changes in the domestic and international situations, pointed out the “six major risks and challenges” and proposed “seven focus points” for work deployment. We must understand the situation, clarify the tasks, and pay close attention to implementation, and we must be adept at turning crises into new opportunities and opening up new situations amidst changes.
2021 marks the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Communist Party of China. It is the first year of the implementation of the “14th Five-Year Plan” and the start of a new journey of building China into a modernized socialist country in an all-round way. Doing a good job in political and legal affairs work is of great significance. The overall requirements for the work of the Central Political and Legal Affairs Committee this year are: Uphold the guidance of Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics for a New Era, earnestly implement the spirit of General Secretary Xi Jinping’s important instructions, thoroughly implement the spirit of the Nineteenth Party Congress, the Second, Third, Fourth, and Fifth Plenums of the Nineteenth Party Congress, as well as the Central Work Conference on Comprehensive Rule of Law, the Central Economic Work Conference, and the Central Political and Legal Affairs Work Conference, strengthen the “Four Consciousness,” strengthen the “Four Matters of Confidence”, and practice the “Two Upholds,” uphold the party’s absolute leadership over political and legal affairs work, uphold people-centered development thinking, uphold the general tone of the work of seeking progress while maintaining stability, and uphold the overall requirements for good overall development and security. With the “Ten Key Points” as the main direction, we will promote the high-quality development of political and legal affairs work, strive to raise the construction of a peaceful China and a China under the rule of law to a higher level, create a safe and stable social environment to get the “14th Five-Year Plan” off to a good start, and celebrate the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Party with outstanding achievements.
First, we will focus on large-scale learning, large-scale seminars, and large-scale training to give rise to an upsurge in the study and implementation of Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law. Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law is 21st-century Marxist thought on the rule of law. It is an ideological banner leading the construction of the rule of law in China and a guide for action to lead political and legal affairs work in the new era.
– Push committees and institutions to be the first to learn and the first to practice. We will organize reading classes to study and implement Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law, implement the combination of special counseling, concentrated research, individual self-study, and presentation and exchanges, deepen ideological understanding, and build a theoretical foundation. Relying on the Politics and Law in the New Era Think Tank of the Central Political and Legal Affairs Committee, we will establish the Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law Research Center, coordinate the research resources and strength of universities, and strengthen the research and interpretation of Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law. We will organize the bureaus of institutions to combine their functions, carry out special topic research on the “Eleven Upholds,” and produce weighty research results.
– Push political and legal affairs teams to learn deeply and practice faithfully. We will organize seminars for provincial and ministerial political and legal affairs leaders, organize training programs for the newly appointed municipal political and legal affairs committee secretaries, run political and legal affairs leadership cadre seminars, hold lectures on Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law in for political and legal systems, establish the China Online Academy of Political Science and Law (中国政法网络学) and the Online Training Institute for Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law, and improve the ability of political and legal affairs teams to use rule of law thinking and methods to perform their work.
– Promote the practice of broad study and practice throughout the whole society. We will hold lectures on China’s political and legal practice and promote Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law on campuses, in classrooms, and within the mind. We will organize legal experts to provide in-depth interpretations of Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law and guide the majority of cadres and the masses to master the essence of this thought. We will build an all-media learning and dissemination platform for Xi Jinping Thought on the Rule of Law and promote online learning and propaganda.
Second, focus on serving the overall situation of the Party Central Committee’s foreign affairs work to safeguard national sovereignty, security, and development interests. We will resolutely implement the decisions and deployments of the Party Central Committee, pay close attention to new changes in the situation, and refine various work measures. We will actively study specific measures for cooperation in areas such as counter-terrorism, law enforcement, and cybersecurity, strengthen international cooperation in law enforcement and security, and earnestly serve the overall situation of the Party Central Committee’s foreign affairs work.
Third, focus on implementing the overall national security outlook to resolutely safeguard national political security. We will always view the maintenance of national political security as the primary task, implement the overall national security outlook, and fight for the total battle and active battle to maintain national political security.
Fourth, focus on giving play to the function of the rule of law to provide service and assurance for high-quality economic development. We will closely follow the theme of high-quality development, base ourselves on the new development stage, implement the new development concept and build a new development pattern, and use the rule of law to help the “14th Five-Year Plan” get off to a good start.
– Optimize public services for political and legal affairs for “addition.” We will actively adapt to the new needs of the people and strive to provide diversified and multi-level law enforcement and judicial products. We will promote the implementation of civil law and strengthen civil trials and supervision and guidance in key areas. We will promote the deepening of the reform of the “delegation of authority, streamlining of management, and improvement of service” (放管服) and promote the adaption of more new measures to bring convenience and benefits to the people. We will promote the implementation of the “Go Global” strategy of legal services, establish and improve international commercial dispute resolution mechanisms and institutions, and accelerate the cultivation of well-rounded rule of law talents engaged in foreign affairs.
– Severely punish economic crimes in accordance with the law through “subtraction.” We will focus on creating a marketized, rule of law–based, and internationalized business environment, promote the improvement of relevant laws and regulations, severely punish crimes that disrupt the order of market competition and infringing on the legitimate rights and interests of market entities in accordance with the law, strengthen anti-monopoly and anti-unfair competition law enforcement and judicial activities, and provide equal protection to the legitimate rights and interests of all market entities. We will promote the strengthening of law enforcement and judicial protection in the area of people’s livelihoods and help consolidate and expand the results of poverty alleviation to effectively link up with rural revitalization.
– Promote innovation-driven development for “multiplication.” We will promote the improvement of the property rights protection system, accelerate the construction of intellectual property protection systems in emerging fields and business formats, strictly implement the punitive damages system, improve the intellectual property litigation mechanism, and form an end-to-end assurance system that stimulates the innovation and vitality of the entire society.
– Prevent, control, and resolve financial risks for “division.” We will cooperate with industry regulatory authorities to make overall plans for filing cases in accordance with the law, linking administrative and criminal proceedings, and maintaining stability and strictly prevent the transmission of economic and financial risks to the fields of social stability and especially political security. We will improve relevant laws and regulations and promote the development of Internet platform companies in accordance with the law.
Five, focus on security work for the celebration of the centennial of the founding of the Party to spare no effort in maintaining the overall stability of society. We will promote political and legal institutions at all levels to strictly implement measures for the maintenance of security and stability and greet the 100th anniversary of the founding of the Party with a stable overall social situation in the country. We will strengthen early warning and prevention, improve the working mechanisms, intensify the crackdown on prominent crimes, new types of crimes, and transnational crimes, strengthen investigation and rectification in key areas of public security, and improve the level of basic prevention and prevention and control at the source. We will promote the implementation of the system of receiving visits and making visits for city and county leading cadres and the system for leaders tied to cases and improve the effectiveness of resolving contradictions and problems. We will strengthen epidemic prevention and control in accordance with the law, give full play to the role of grassroots political and legal comprehensive governance forces, improve the community prevention and control system, and strengthen mass prevention and control. We will strengthen the intrinsic epidemic prevention in the political and legal affairs system to ensure that no outbreaks occur.
Six, focus on preventing, controlling, and resolving social risks to accelerate the modernization of social governance. We will fully implement the deployments of the Work Conference on Building a Peaceful China, build institutions and mechanisms that consolidated fragmented systems, give full play to the role of the “Five Governances,” accelerate the modernization of social governance, and strive to raise the building of a peaceful China to a higher level.
– Solidly advance pilot projects for the modernization of municipal social governance. We will integrate the development realities of East, Central, and West China, grasp the characteristics of megacities, extremely large cities, large cities, and small and medium-sized cities, implement classified guidance, use system integration to replicate and spread innovative experience, and create a batch of governance models. We will establish the concept of full-lifecycle management, improve the contradiction and risk prediction, prevention, and resolution system, improve mechanisms for source governance, diversified solutions, and risk assessment, and strive to resolve major contradictions and risks in cities.
– Strengthen innovation in grassroots social governance. We will uphold and develop the “Fengqiao Experience” in the new era, establish the orientation of focusing on the grassroots and the foundation, push more force towards the guidance and channeling ends, improve the overall planning and coordination work mechanisms of township and town (sub-district) political and legal committees, improve the grassroots social governance system of “comprehensive governance center + grid-based + informatization,” and strive to resolve minor contradictions and small problems at the grassroots level and nip them in the bud.
Seventh, focus on the normalization of the eradication of organized crime to consolidate and expand the achievements of the special struggle. The end of the special struggle does not mean letting up on organized crime. It is necessary to intensify preparations for the summary and commendation meeting on the special struggle against organized crime, promote the early publication of the Anti-Organized Crime Law, and promote the normalization of the eradication of organized crime.
– Strike early when small to maintain power. We will resolutely crack down on underworld forces and their “protective umbrellas,” strike at the first signs of problems, and take strict precautions that small problems do not grow into large ones. We will promote an in-depth crackdown on prominent crimes such as pornography, gambling, drugs, robbery, fraud, and [contaminated] food and medicine as well as new types of cyber crimes and resolutely cut off the black and gray production chains. We will promote and strengthen the coordination of Party discipline and law, strictly implement institutions and mechanisms such as the “Two Always” (两个一律) and “One Case, Three Investigations” (一案三查) and strictly investigate and deal with political and legal affairs cadres and police officers involved in criminal activity and in violation of discipline and law.
– Carefully follow the clues with precision and force. The 12337 intelligentized reporting platform for the National Anti-Crime Office will be operated in a normalized manner and the system of grade-based verification, superior review, regular random inspection, and lifelong responsibility for verification results will be implemented. Relying on the intelligentized platform, we can classify and analyze the clues reported by the masses, conduct dynamic tracking of cases, and dynamically monitor the criminal trends of the underworld forces to continuously improve the accuracy and effectiveness of the crackdown.
– Strengthen supervision and the transmission of pressure. We will continue to adopt measures such as using lists to supervise the handling of cases and promote the cracking down on cases in various places. We will regularly organize and carry out four-level supervision and conduct special supervision on key cases, clues, fields, and regions. For cases that have not been concluded before the end of the special struggle, fugitives who have not yet been brought to justice, and the property involved in cases that have not yet been handled, as the supervising institution, the supervisory office must keep a close eye on these situations and make sure that none are allowed to fall down.
– Deepen governance and the source and continue to exert force. We will continue to consolidate the results of special rectification in the ten key industries, normalized rolling investigation and rectification, simultaneously carry out online investigation and offline remediation, unannounced visit evaluations and law enforcement inspections, and routine supervision and special initiates, and promptly discover and plug management loopholes.
Eighth, focus on the reform and construction of the law enforcement and judicial restriction and supervision system to further advance the comprehensive deepening of reforms in the political and legal fields. We will coordinate and plan to promote basic, creative, and guiding reforms and create more new highlights in reforms.
– Improve the credibility of law enforcement and the judiciary through supervision. We will strengthen the Party’s leadership and supervision and promote the normalization of political inspections, law enforcement supervision, and disciplinary inspections. We will promote the improvement and optimization of the coordinated and efficient functional system of political and legal institutions and improve the institutions and mechanisms of mutual restraint among the powers of investigation, prosecution, trial, and enforcement. We will promote the improvement of the positioning of trial-level functions of the four levels of courts and strengthen the procedural control and trial-level supervision functions. We will strengthen the legal supervision work of procuratorial institutions and comprehensively improve the quality and effectiveness of procuratorial supervision. We will strengthen the linkage and supervision of law enforcement and case handling procedures and improve the intelligentized end-to-end supervision and management mechanisms.
– Resolve the difficult problems of law enforcement and the judiciary through reforms. In response to issues such as not filing cases, not investigating cases, and not holding guilty parties accountable, we will deepen the reform of the court case filing and registration system, improve case filing supervision mechanisms, and promote the reform of public security case filing and the reform of the “Two Unifications” (两统一) for criminal cases. In response to issues such as campaign-style law enforcement and “one size fits all” law enforcement, we will improve the basic evidence guidelines for criminal cases at different stages of litigation, comprehensively promote the construction of a law enforcement case handling management center, strengthen the public hearing of evidence by procuratorial institutions, and improve the interpretation and reasoning mechanisms for judgment documents. In response to problems such as improper contact between judicial personnel and lawyers and the acting as judicial “brokers”, we will promote the strict implementation of the “Three Provisions” (三项规定), and established and improved mechanisms for the prevention, detection, and investigation of illegal interactions between judicial personnel and lawyers. In response to problems of the violation of regulations and laws in commutation, parole, temporary release from prison, and especially the “on-paper sentencing” (纸面服刑), we will improve the responsibility system for cases of commutation, parole, and temporary release from prison, promote the improvement of the national commutation and parole informatized case handling platform, and accelerate the issuing of opinions on advancing the application of parole in accordance with the law.
– Enhance the effectiveness of law enforcement and the judiciary with supporting facilities. We will promote the deepening of the reform of case-handling operation mechanisms, improve the positive and negative power lists and the performance guidance system, and strengthen the construction of case-handling teams. We will promote the deepening of the reform of the trial-centered criminal procedural system, unify the basic evidence standards for common and frequent criminal cases, promote the trial of the full coverage of lawyer defense, improve the leniency system in cases with a confession of guilt and acceptance of punishment, and improve preventive legal systems such as the governance at the source of litigation. We will promote the deepening of reforms for the classified management system of political and legal affairs cadres and police officers and the recruitment and training mechanisms and improve the assurance system for the fulfillment of responsibilities.
Nine, focus on comprehensive education and the rectification of political and legal affairs teams to strive to build an iron army for political and legal affairs in the new era. We will give full play to the functions of the National Political and Legal Affairs Team Education and Rectification Office in overall planning, coordination and promotion, and supervision and implementation and promote the strong, orderly, and effective development of education and rectification.
– Implement in batches and promote in conjunction. According to the bottom-up deployment arrangements for batch promotion, we will organize and convene national political and legal affairs team education and rectification work meetings as well as supervision and guidance training meetings and implement guidelines that are systemized, based on tasks and projects, and feature proceduralized operations.
– Focus on tasks and tightly link them. We will highlight the “Four Major Tasks” of strengthening political loyalty, eliminating black sheep, treating stubborn diseases, and promoting the spirit of heroes and models, pay close attention to the “Three Links” of practical study and education, investigation and correction, and summary and improvement, regularly hold education and rectification promotion meetings, strengthen the exchange of experience and summaries, solve outstanding problems in stages, and promote the in-depth development of education and rectification.
– Grasp policies and pay attention to strategies. Push all localities to follow the relevant policies and regulations of “leniency when inspecting and strictness when being inspected,” study and formulate implementation rules, and clarify operating procedures. Grasp the “critical minority,” guide the political and legal affairs leaders to turn the lens on themselves, solve their own outstanding problems, and form the “lead goose effect” (头雁效应, as in the goose that leads a formation). We will carry out open-door rectification, let the masses participate, accept the supervision of the masses, and accept the judgment of the masses, and effectively transform the demands of the masses into internal initiative.
– Consolidate responsibilities and seek practical results. We will encourage local Party committees at the three levels of provinces, cities, and counties to assume the main responsibilities, encourage Party committees, political and legal committees, and political and legal units to assume direct responsibilities, encourage local discipline inspection commissions and organizations and other departments to assume coordination responsibilities, and encourage central political and legal units to assume responsibility for guidance to form a strong synergy with linkage from top to bottom and joint regulation and management.
Ten, focus on the construction of new media for political and legal affairs to raise the level of propaganda and public opinion work for political and legal affairs. We must conscientiously implement the ideological work responsibility system, make the new online media stronger, bigger, and more responsive to political and legal affairs, spread the positive energy of political and legal affairs, and resolutely win the online public opinion war.
– Promote the construction of new media for political and legal affairs to move to the forefront of Party and state institutions. We will improve the cooperation mechanisms between new media for political and legal affairs and emerging online platforms, make a reasonable layout for the new media for political and legal affairs to enter emerging online platforms, build “Politics and Law Channels” on emerging online platforms and mainstream media clients, and strive to maximize and optimize the effect of propaganda. With “One Net, One Sword” as the driving force, we will strive to create a new media “aircraft carrier” matrix for political and legal affairs that exists on the entire network and responds all the time.
– Promote the establishment, institution building, and system building of the online political and legal affairs propaganda army. We will strengthen talent training, improve the assessment and incentive mechanisms, and build an elite team for new media creation.
– Actively carry out ideological struggles in political and legal affairs. We will innovate and improve the “Three Synchronizations” work mechanism, and take strong and practical action to respond to concerns, clarify facts, eliminate misunderstandings, and refute rumors.